Fixing bugs in Open Source - Journal of Omnifarious
Mar. 14th, 2006
06:26 pm - Fixing bugs in Open Source
Up until recently, I've semi-ignored bugs in Open Source projects. I filed bugs for problems that irritated me and moved on. More recently, I've decided to try fixing them.
Part of the reason I've decided to do this is to improve my own skills at being able to quickly pull apart a program and find a bug. I've not been so great at that in the past, having done mostly new development and/or working on projects I wrote.
This is how I got involved in the Mercurial project. And I've also managed to have the displeasure of having Ulrich Drepper tell me that some broken behavior in glibc was going to continue because there was no spec that declared it broken.
My most recent bit of bug fixing was for a program called highlight that generates nice formatted and syntax highlighted source code listings. I submitted the bug and when it became apparent it wasn't going to get fixed anytime soon by anybody, I went ahead and fixed it myself. I'm mildly proud of myself, since fixing it myself took all of about 2 hours worth of work, including the time it took to add the attachments containing the fix to the bug report.
I also feel like I'm doing more to pull my weight in the Open Source community now. Getting my name around a little more and letting people know who I am.