Privelege meme - Journal of Omnifarious
Dec. 31st, 2007
08:20 pm - Privelege meme
The list is based on an exercise developed by Will Barratt, Meagan Cahill, Angie Carlen, Minnette Huck, Drew Lurker, Stacy Ploskonka at Illinois State University. The exercise developers ask that if you participate in this blog game, you acknowledge their copyright.
If you post this in your blog, please leave a comment on this post. To participate in this blog game, copy and paste the above list into your blog, and bold the items that are true for you. If you don't have a blog, feel free to post your responses in the comments.
- Father went to college
- Father finished college After I moved out of the house.
- Mother went to college
- Mother finished college
- Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor Not yet, or not that I know of
- Were the same or higher class than your high school teachers This is hard. I think we always had less money than they did.
- Had more than 50 books in your childhood home
- Had more than 500 books in your childhood home It's hard to gauge, but I suspect not
- Were read children's books by a parent
- Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18 I was in band, but I'm not sure that counts, the lessons weren't outside of school
- Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18
- The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed positively Mostly now, it used to be rather ambiguous
- Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18
- Your parents paid for the majority of your college costs
- Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs
- Went to a private high school
- Went to summer camp
- Had a private tutor before you turned 18 I don't think the small town neighbor teacher who came over to teach me when I had mononucleosis when I was 6 counts
- Family vacations involved staying at hotels I want on a couple with my dad and his parents that involved hotels some of the time.
- Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18
- Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them
- There was original art in your house when you were a child My mom and stepfather's art
- Had a phone in your room before you turned 18
- You and your family lived in a single family house In one case, my stepfather built the house, and in the other we sort of had more than one family stuffed into the same small house, though we were all related
- Your parent(s) owned their own house or apartment before you left home Well, not the house I lived in then. My mom and stepfather definitely did
- You had your own room as a child
- Participated in an SAT/ACT prep course I would've refused to, I felt they were cheating, and I knew I would do better than almost everybody else regardless
- Had your own TV in your room in High School I had my own computer, and it had a TV that couldn't get broadcast television so this is hard to answer
- Owned a mutual fund or IRA in High School or College
- Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16
- Went on a cruise with your family
- Went on more than one cruise with your family
- Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up There are a lot of those around where I grew up. Lots of interesting history and it's a tourist town
- You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family Until 11, our heating bills were paid for with our own labor in collecting the wood and such, so this is hard to answer